At 1:51PM their time, residents of the East Coast shook, rattled and rolled as a 5.8 magnitude quake swept from New England to New York. According to the New York Times, the quake, which originated in Virgina, didn’t leave behind too much damage — aside from a whole lot of rattled nerves.
Of course, the veteran quake-survivors of the west coast had plenty to say to their shaky east coast brethren. As a small sample of our little local corner of the Twitterverse shows, the Angeleno response to the big quake news ranged from concern to comedy, pics to politics.
- “Hope all my East Coast tweeps are ok RT @mattstopera: 20 Stunning Photos Of Damage Caused By The East Coast Earthquake:buzzfeed.com/mjs538/stunnin…” – @LuxuryPRGal
- “Scary thing about east coast quakes is the buildings are not built for them — be careful, east coasters!!!” -@MarkJeffrey
- “Earthquakes AND cold weather? The east coast has it rough. Come join us in SoCal. At least you’ll be wearing shades when the earth moves. ;)” -@Acoolong
- “Me on ph in my NYC hotel room “uh, I think we’re having an earthquake right now” My Mom “You’re nuts, it’s just windy” TIP IT!” -@KathyGriffin
- “East Coasters! Practice Venice Beach Earthquake safety! Find a safe bench to hide under, then live there for years.” -@Kassemg
- “Twitter’s pace is getting insane. Within 8 minutes we went from mass earthquake tweets to people sick of earthquake tweets. Amazing.” -@PaymanBenz